Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lunchtime date with Papa

Normally, Mr. P and I meet up for lunch on Mondays.
Monday is my child free day. The idea is that I do as little as possible, indulge my every whim (like reading a book in bed all day if I want to, sit on the veranda and knit, have a workout followed by a massage) and relax..... Well, so far none of this has happened . Every week after drop-offs I do some child-free grocery shopping, which is a very pleasant experience in itself but not exactly a relaxing activity. Once back home, I clean up the breakfast mess, tidy up the rooms and put a load of washing on, fold and put away a mountain of clothes...you know, just a few little things before I really sit down with a coffee and relax....Well, you would know what comes next...its lunchtime and I've only got about 2 hours before the boys need to be picked up. If I'm organised, I should do dinner while it is quiet...blah blah blah. To cut a long story short, I have never properly indulged in anything more than a lukewarm coffee on the veranda....

But every Monday I have grand plans and one day I will have a tidy house on Sunday night and and an empty washing basket......

Anyway, because of the school holidays, we had a family picnic at the Botanical Gardens with Mr. P. The kids were very exited to go and pick papa up from work. I went all out to prepare a lovely lunch, forgetting that lunch was only 30 minutes for Mr. P and a bit rushed. And most of that time, G threw a wobbly and never got to eat his lunch .....and ruined the peace and quiet of other park visitors.....Nevertheless, the tomato focaccia was well received.




I put too much yeast in so I ended up with this soft pillow of bread. It was actually very handy to cut in half and fill it with delicious ISTRA ham and ricotta and a few salad leafs...
Later that night, we had a simple Lemon and parsley risotto followed by Vanilla ice cream with poached quinces and hundreds and thousands. It looked wicked!






No comments: