Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cleaning out the fridge



Dinner was an interesting affair. I wasn't very inspired that day, partly because all my focus and enthusiasm was on the Hot Cross Buns I had to make. For reasons I cannot explain, my weekly menu plan went out the window and I had to be spontaneous....

I had still 1/2 bunch of spinach in the fridge as well as some parsley. Together with some brown rice, an idea started to form.....

Brown rice risotto with spinach, parsley and pecans

Boil brown rice in a pot with plenty of water and some stock until almost tender. Once its done, add plenty of your chopped greens (you could add a variety of herbs like mint and parsley and silver beet instead of spinach). For seasoning, add some ground cumin and some sea salt flakes.

Let the greens wilt before serving, topping your rice with toasted nuts. Also nice would be toasted pistachios.

And that's it. Simple, healthy and very comforting. Just the thing when oven-fresh buns are waiting...


No comments: