Saturday, April 18, 2009

Super Piklets

This is a fantastic mid-morning snack for the kids and a favorite in Miss E's lunchbox. I make double and freeze them for an emergency snack when my day doesn't run as smoothly as expected....to put it nicely.

Before becoming a mama, I had never heard of piklets, and before I found this recipe I thought they were bland and unhealthy. Well, these don't exactly tickle your tastebuds either but rather form a nice base for other healthy toppings.




Super Oat Piklets

3/4 cup plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup unprocessed oat bran
1 egg
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
olive oil


  • sift flour and baking powder in a bowl
  • add rolled oats and oat bran
  • lightly wisk egg and buttermilk and add to the flour/oat mixture

set aside at room temperature for about 10 minutes.

In the meantime prepare your chosen toppings. Today we had them spread with cream cheese, topped with strawberry halves and drizzled with honey.

You could try avocado and ricotta, or ricotta and honey.

Fry spoonfuls of the mix in a hot frypan being careful not to burn them (I always burn the first and last ones.....). They are done in a flash and are ready to go on the plate.

A word on Buttermilk:

I always find that if I use half a carton of Buttermilk for a recipe I forget about the rest in the fridge. You can freeze it, but if you are like me, you forget about that one too and when you need it, it is rockhard. So, today I din't want to waste this yummy milk and made a "banana left-over soothie".

1 banana

hanful of frozen berries

1/2 carton of buttermilk, topped with your everyday milk till you have the desired quantity

some left-over icecream, or the last spoonfuls of yoghurt

some LSA if you have it
Whizz the lot and watch your kids slurp it up with delight,
thinking they just got the biggest, unexpected treat
of course, you don't tell them about the ice cream...

No comments: