Saturday, March 28, 2009

Lazy Sunday





Today is a glorious Autum day and for once Mr. P is at home enjoying some much needed R+R. He has been working so hard every weekend in the city that we have almost forgotten how wonderful it is to just hang out as a family and enjoy our new home.
And for once, the 3 darlings have all slept in, which is a first for T who is my early bird normally. So, all set for the perfect Sunday....

The new Breakfast muesli has been given a thumbs up. I think. Truth is, the kids were too cirpy to notice, as they raced around like mad having a fabulous time, only occationally stoping by to grab a mouthful. Which is ok I guess, as today we don't have to rush out the door in time for school and honestly, it makes my day seeing the three of them having such a good time together. Their complicity is happening more and more lately. Miss E is usually creating a scene and the boys happily follow suit and add volume to their play. We are entering a new phase I feel, one where the kids become equals and partners in their games. It is lovely to watch and a reward for all those times when I wondered why I have 3 children. The mayhem, the arguments, the constant demands.....all forgotten when I watch them play together.....honestly...

Anyway, the other great achievment of today is that Miss E, at the tender age of 5 1/2 has learned to ride her bike without training wheels....in barely 15min. We did practice the other day but it was Mr P's detailed instructions that made it happen. Or so I am told and would not want to argue with that. Lucky, as I have just found the perfect pre-loved bike for her and can now buy it as an early Birthday present. The grin on her face is just priceless.

So while Father and Daughter practiced I set to prepare lunch. There were some tired looking Broccoli and Zucchini in the crisper, begging to be put out of their misery. Fresh eggs from the market, herbs that were sprouting in my new Herb Garden and the last piece of parmesan.....are you thinking what I am thinking?

Inspired by Stephanie Alexander's book on her School Kitchen Garden project I whipped up this
Lovely Herb and Broccoli Frittata
1 handful of parsely
some thyme and oregano finely chopped
1/2 red or brown onion
1 clove garlic
1 Zucchini, finely sliced
1 Broccoli head, separated into small florets
6 Eggs
a dash of cream
Parmesan

Saute onion and garlic in some olive oil, add the sliced Zucchini and gently fry until golden. In the meantime, steam or boil the Zucchini in some lightly salted water until just al dente.
When all is done, put Zucchini, Broccoli and Herbs in a mixing bowl, add the eggs and mix.
I happened to have a tablespoon of cream in the fridge that had to be used. Sometimes I add a splash of milk, sometimes not. It depends how I feel about sticking to traditions or not.

Pour the lot into a hot frypan with some Olive oil. Cook until the bottom looks firm and the top is only slightly runny. I used to then flip the Frittata over via a plate, these days I put the pan directly in the oven or under the grill.

You'll know when the frittata is ready when it begins to crips up and no liquid pools remain. Take it out and flip it onto a plate. Sprinke with some grated Parmesan and you have yourself a lovely lunch. Serve it with a green Salad, toasted garlic Ciabatta and a good glass of wine.

And that's exactly what we did. Kids loved it on top of their bread and we had also some fried eggplant cubes with it.....the view into the garden was breathtaking. It was the first time since the move that we actually sat outside and enjoyed our new surroundings, without work to get back to or other chores to complete. Believe me, they are still there, lurking in the shadows, but not today. Today is a gloriously lazy Sunday, a promise of things to come this Autum.

Of course, for me, lazy does not mean long siestas, oh no. I am thinking dinner....school lunches and weekly menu. The parsley that has to be planted, the hole for the compost that has to be dug and the pile of washing that has to be folded and put away.....

No comments: