Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It may not be fashionable......

...........but I love making school lunches.


Admittedly, I have only been doing it for 1 term and Miss E is a pleasure to cook for. Wait another 2 years and 3 lunches to prepare and I might feel differently about the topic, but you will never find me doing vegemite sandwiches... oh no....


I have been making slabs of Zucchini slices thanks to the steady supply of a giant variety from a friends garden. Those get frozen and are a very handy standby when there are no leftovers. This term we had frittatas, arancini, sushi and wraps but most of all she loves ...... sandwiches.....So today I gave in.



Egg Sandwich with rocket








And while Miss E was at school, the boys has a lovely day gardening with Nana. It was another sunny and warm day and I just pottered around the house and even managed to read a few pages of a new book.

Lunch for us was a concoction of leftovers: A brown rice, wilted rocket, pear and walnut, cranberries, fried eggplant cubes, tomato and parsley salad....yes, it does sound bizarre, but dressed with some olive oil and lemon juice surprisingly tasty....The cranberries were a last minute entry and a winner with the boys. Being slightly tart, they went well with the salad theme I must say.

There are days when I start cooking with one thing in mind and end up with something entierly different. Today was such a day. And it turned out good. Then there are other days....







No comments: